Tuesday, June 14, 2011

6/14/11

It's still cool out (which amazes me), and that means the wolves are finally pretty active. Some of them were playing tonight, chasing coyotes next door, etc.

Kiri, the 18 year old wolf who comes to the edge of the fence looking for food whenever I come around. A few days ago he apparently forgot that he is stiff and arthritic when he chased a staff member out of the enclosure, trying to steal a bag from her (I didn't actually see this, but I really wish I had).

Behind him is Eclipse, who is in another pen. She was born here and sent to another facility, but they didn't keep up with socialization and she didn't get along with the wolves there. So they sent her back here, but she is very shy as a result of improper socialization. 


Twister (in back) and Willow

Kailani, the highest ranking wolf in the main pack

Kailani brought over the deer leg from today. Once you know how heavy those legs are, you get a better appreciation of how the wolves can carry such a huge weight with only their teeth. At one lecture we learned that one of the wolves was able to lift a suitcase filled with two cinderblocks (and we saw the photo). 

That blurry stuff in the photo is the chainlink fence; it's a pain to try and get it out of view of the lens.


I've noticed that I have a new favorite wolf every week I've been here, but I think the one in this photo may be "the" favorite of mine. This is Ruedi, who I personally think is the most beautiful wolf in the park--I think he has really striking facial markings. He is actually the lowest ranking wolf in the main pack and gets picked on by the others, but he and Dharma (the yearling) are good companions and often play with each other (which is a lot of fun to watch). It's a treat to see Ruedi since he often hides out from the other wolves.


Wolfgang, the alpha (highest ranking) male in the main pack.

Dharma and Ruedi


Kailani

Dharma



Ruedi--note that his eyes are greenish, which is an unusual color (wolf eyes are usually gold).

No comments:

Post a Comment